This is a real departure from my regular posts. Please indulge me...
The more likely Mitt Romney's nomination becomes, the more stories and questions the media pose about Mormonism. Some of the reporting is straightforward and fair, some is arrogant and ignorant. Either way, it's interesting to learn what the rest of the country thinks about my religion. The topics that seem to come up most--understandably--are the "out-there" things: polygamy, baptism by proxy, our funny underwear. As I read about these issues in the mainstream media, I realize that now, more than ever, I may be called upon to explain them to friends and neighbors.
Matt and I listened to this story the other day. It's an interview with Joanna Brooks by Krista Tippet on Tippet's weekly NPR program. Brooks is a practicing Mormon who also happens to be an English professor, blogger, reporter, and articulate Mormon commentator. I like the way she tackles some tough questions. Here is interview blurb:
With the emergence of Mitt Romney as a viable presidential candidate, many Mormons also see this a "white-knuckle moment"-- one of deepened self-searching as they wonder, "What will they say about us next?"
If you have time, take a listen.
1 comment:
I listened to this when it first came on, and then I listened to the unedited version. She made so many points that I appreciated, and she articulated many of my own thoughts and questions. As someone who no longer believes in church teachings, but who loves and respects my heritage, it was at once incredibly sad, gratifying, and thought-provoking.
Post a Comment