Saturday, September 25, 2010

Kentucky wildlife

Miles found this little guy today while weeding in our backyard with Matt. It's been a dry summer but it rained hard yesterday so we think he emerged from underground for a drink. A quick Internet search helped me identify him as an eastern box turtle. We considered keeping him. After another minute or two of Internet research, we decided to put him back where we found him. Pretty cute, huh?


9 comments:

Nibs said...

That's the cutest turtle ever. What a cool find.

David L said...

Man, that is a HUGE quarter!

Amy and Chad Larson Family said...

They are both so cute--especially the one in the wide brimmed working hat. So, why not keep it?

Anna said...

Well, turtles live a long time, and they eat slugs and snails (or cat food). Mostly, though, I don't think I'm ready for a terrarium. But, I've been thinking of the little guy tonight, alone and cold out in the garden... Did I make the right choice!?

Anna said...

P.S. Doesn't everyone need a wide-brimmed working hat?

Anna said...

Lol, Dave.

shayna said...

So do you have Miles weeding in the garden on a regular basis? Way to teach him how to work.

starr said...

I want a turtle!

Emily said...

Those wouldn't happen to be the variety of turtle that lives around 80 years and gets to be huge would it? I doubt you would really want it around when it was the size of a small horse. But it sure was adorable and tiny wasn't it.